Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NightLife Game Board

Here's one of my projects i'm working on. It's my version of the game of life. The game takes place in a downtown area and I wanted the colors to reflect a night time mood... I also want all the buildings to be 3D.
The hardest part of creating 3D pieces is all the math that goes into it. I had to think all the way back to trigonometry in high school. Even though my brain is fried from this experience, it's worth knowing that everything will fit together correctly the first time.
After the math was all done, I went back and drafted up the final versions of the buildings.
After about 8 hours of coloring, I finally was able to print.
So far, i've spent like 20 hours total on this project. Even though the long nights of endless cups of coffee seemed painful, in the end it was all worth it. I'll post up final pics of this project as soon as i'm done with it. This illustration class has inspired me in all new ways. Before, I used to create all of my imagery using vectors and gradients. I think the most valuable thing that i've learned this semester was how to "paint" in photoshop on multiple layers. I always felt like my work was lacking something. But now that I'm taking both printmaking as well as this illustration class, I'm learning how to incorporate more organic elements into my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment